Thursday, December 07, 2006

 

Exam Destress

So I was having dinner with my friend when she mentioned about vicious cycle about how she likes to stay at home to watch TV. I totally feel its nothing wrong, and if there's any chance I would own a plasma TV with 200+ channels at my disposal 24/7, count me in to couch there and catch all movies that interest me. So she mentioned that, when she stayed in to watch TV and eat in, she put on some weight (where got?) and when she put on weight, she doesnt want to go out to meet people or wear going out clothes. And when she doesnt want to go out, she stays at home to continue watching TV. And the cycle continues. Before you think that I am rambling at someone's plight, that's not how I look at it. I totally agree with the concept of vicious cycle, and it applies to things we do that we are oblivion about. Take for example, one pitfall which I try very hard to avoid. At the start of the semester, you promise yourself to work hard for the semester so that at least when it comes to the end of the sem, you can give yourself a little less pressure on your finals. So when the first exam comes around the corner, I would think that since this is the first exam, shouldn't be too hard to score for it. Thus I would not study as hard. When the results turn out, I score lesser than expected. I start to think that its the course that is a pain in the ass, and start rejecting it, hating it. When the second exam comes around, I will not be as motivated to study, but there will be a nagging feeling to study for it. Yet when the results do not turn out my way, I get more pissed. Vicious cycle.

Somehow, this reinforces the negative feeling you have about some subject. And when you reach a point, you totally reject the subject. Vicious cycle comes into play especially with relationships with your peers. Negative-feeling reinforcement about someone. You start to pick out nitty-gritty wrongdoings about a person, and such feelings get reinforced. Vicious cycle. Honestly, I think this is how shit gets stirred. All without giving the poor person a chance to explain his position. (Btw, this is just my tots. No one is referred in this scenario. Dun assume!)

Frankly, when I spot myself getting into one of such cycles, I will like to break away. Not as easy, since you are breaking from what your feelings assume is correct behavior, especially when you are challenging yourself to view this situation from a bigger perspective. No one likes it. At least I try lah, gimme the credit. At least I told myself this winter shall not be like the last one, no way in hell am I going to go down the slope to eat, drink and be merry without giving my health priority consideration. Or least I cannot stand the sight of myself to put on weight (truth!). Look good, feel good; healthy body, healthy mind. That is a positive cycle I like to adopt. Not all habitual cycles are bad!

Exams sucks. As much as I am telling myself that this sem pose a challenge unlike the past 2, I cant think past the thought that I have a TON to read and memorize, and on top of that, I still got to absorb new materials taught during dead week. Well done, didn't realize 15 credits can do so much damage to my already-diminishing brain cells (due to drinking). From my friends who ask what classes I take next sem, seems like I am getting a clearer perspective of the huge workload I'm carrying in spring. Well done, talk about challenging myself. Bo bian ah! Suck it up, take it like a man since its my decision. Always do the best that you can in situations that you cannot change. (X202: that will be constraints, formed to limit the feasible set and find the optimal objective function) Okay my brain is kinda congested right now. So much for de stress.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?